One Heart Committee: Advancing Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
The One Heart: Advancing Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Board Committee serves to centralize and integrate our existing efforts and is a catalyst for renewed focus on opportunities to do more as a community in living our mission.
The One Heart Committee and supporting Advisory group are comprised of diverse members of the Sacred Heart community including parents, faculty, staff, students, and alumnae; each member brings unique perspectives, expertise, and experiences.
Together, we are committed to increasing our community's awareness, understanding, inclusion, and celebration of all of its members. This will be accomplished through training, events, curriculum, and through the diversity of our student body and the composition of our faculty, staff, administration, and Trustees.
In order to further advance EDI, we have prioritized the following:
- Providing EDI training and development opportunities for our students, faculty, staff, and Trustees:
- to increase cultural awareness and sensitivities
- to build intercultural competency through professional development, and
- to develop skills to foster open and productive conversations that promote ally ship and anti-racism.
- Assessing our curriculum through the lens of enhancing inclusion, promoting diverse perspective and ensuring it cultivates a sense of belonging for all members of the community. Our goal is to stimulate the intellectual development of our girls in a way that is inclusive and allows each student to see his/her heritage in our classrooms and curriculum.
- Diversity of our student body and increasing representation among our faculty, staff, administration, and Trustees.
- Better understanding the student experience including engagement in extracurricular activities, satisfaction and success, and providing support that promotes these consistently for all members of the student body.
- Providing EDI events and programming through our student and faculty diversity groups and Parent Association.
The mission of the One Heart Committee is to intentionally build and strengthen a more diverse and inclusive Sacred Heart Greenwich environment where all feel valued, respected, and experience a sense of belonging. It is also to develop inclusion, empathy and cultural intelligence as essential skills for our students. This is consistent with our faith, and creates Sacred Heart young women who will live out the Goals and act as leaders in the world.